21 August 2008

Caledonian Canal and Loch Lochi. And a fairy tale...

Hi all.

I am in a youth hostel two miles south of Invergarry, just in the north tip of Loch Lochi.

I don't know how to extract the pics from my camera in this computer, so no images this time. I could wait til tomorrow and see if I can find an Internet place in the village, but i might find that there is none, and I don't know when I will have the chance to update the blog next- from now on, lots of mountains, and paths, and nature, but civilization diminish north of here.

On wednesday started walking at 5:30 pm, after 5 tiring hours of blog updating. I left Fort William not without certain sadness as i had such a fantastic time there. I walked by the Caledonian canal. The day was grey, and I was not sure if i would make it to the camping, just before the beggining of Loch Lochi. No a big problem, i had my torch, i could do wild camping, and the path was actually a track that a car could use.

I got to the campsite at 10 pm, in complete darkness and in the middle of an unpleasant drizzle. No dinner, not even a shower. Straight into the tent, and sleep. I was very tired.

Today, more rain in the morning. My tent soaked in the outside, and some small paddles in the inside. I dried what I could. This bloody weather is beggining to....! well, i don't think the weather will care if i like it or not, if i get frustrated or not, if i want sun and a dry field to pitch my tent, so, I just take as it comes, and expect for the best. Sigh!

I had more drizzle on and off, but it was not too bad (if hadn't bloody had it for the last two or three weeks!!!!.... easy, easy, take it easy...). The path that runs in the north side of Loch Lochi was very easy to walk.

It goes into a small wood, not far from the beggining of the loch. Just there, guess who i saw!:

Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs. No, I had not been smoking any kind of "plant" or drinking any kind of "juice". Sorry I can't show the pictures, now; I'll do it when i can. Then I noticed that they were welcoming to the Fairy Tale Wood. Between the first few trees i could see more wonders: a gorgeous tiny nymph smiled at me. I went into the forest, and i saw more dwarfs, and even gnomes, and there was a swamp with crocs and lizards and horrible spiders and worms, and a family of cats, a huge bear, and wild animals like monkeys elephants and tigers... I also bumped into a teddy bears meeting, saw clowns and even a ghost!!

An old owl said goodbye to me with deep voice. I continued my way.

The path turned into a good track, following still the the loch. My boots were hurting me a bit more than the last few days before getting to Fort William, and just after 4 hours walking I felt knackered. have I lost my fitness with the week rest?? I don't think so, maybe just a bad day.

I arrived to the hostel at 5:30. Tomorrow i will meet Jez, Karen, Lyndon, Dan and Dyeison to walk the Knoydart peninsula. After that, a bit of Skye and then more mainland northbound with Craig.

That is all for the moment.

Take care  and write to you soon.

Carlos

1 comment:

Marta said...

¡Hola, Carlos!

Soy una de las chicas asturianas con la que te tropezaste en Fort William y con las que te hiciste una foto. He estado viendo tu blog y me parece fascinante lo que estás haciendo. Te deseo mucha suerte en tu viaje, mucho ánimo y mucha paciencia con el tiempo (nosotros estuvimos una semana por Escocia y llovió todos los días).

Ahora ya han vuelto todos a Asturias y yo de vuelta en Londres. Seguiré tu blog, seguro que aprendo algo.

Un saludo,

Marta