22 July 2008

Rest weekend and national security threats

Hi all
I am in Richmond, a lovely village in North Yorkshire.

Richmond main square

After leaving the library in Harrogate I went to a pub in the town centre for a few pints and planning the following days on the maps. Then I went to the Wetherspoon free house for a curry and the last pint of the night. The pub is a huge building with very high ceilings and very good atmosphere. After that I headed to the camp site and had a nice sleep.

In the morning, threatened rain, but it hold up so that I could pack tent and things in dry conditions. Later I had very light rain but I did not need to use my poncho. Before leaving harrogate I quickly went through the town centre to change a map that I actually did not need.

Before starting walking I phoned David, Liz's Dad, to let him know that I would get to Ripon just before the duck race (?????) at 6. Later on I realize that I would get to Ripon much earlier and we rearranged the meeting.

The walk run through easy walking paths and fields in a grey gloomy day.

Once in Ripon and after meeting David and Elaine (Liz's Mum) had a shower and we all went to the duck race. I eventually knew that the duck race was a fundraising event where 1000 yellow plastic ducks are released into the river in Ripon town center, and flow to a certain point. Each duck have a number attached and the first, second and third one have a prize. it was very curious seeing all those ducks coming in the river, and seeing the real ones just wondering what the hell is coming down the river!


The duck race in Ripon.

After the race, barbaque, and back "home" for doing some cooking. I cooked my world famous rice pudding (arroz con leche) whike having one or two lagers, and a few glasses of Shiraz, my arm twisted on my back, I swear.... ;) I should say that I was very happy with the outcome of my cooking, and this rice pudding was at least as good as the one I cooked 5 years ago in Javi and Zoraida place in London. Well done to me.

By the time Will, Liz, Paco, and Djeison arrived it was almost midnight, and I had just finished cooking, and was nicely pissed thanks to the tireless persinstence of David, and his hard work on filling up my glass, arm twisted once again...

We decided, that on the first day of my rest weekend in Ripon we (Paco, Will, Djeison and myself) would walk the three peaks of the Yorkshire dales. A 40 Km walk, with three summits to climb in the middle. Liz and Elaine had a nice shopping day at York, and David went umpiring a cricket game.

On saturday we woke up at 5 am, as a beginning for my rest day. At 8, we were in the car park, that was already full at such an early hour. The first peak was really close to us and we could see it behind a cloud on top of us. Once we got into the cloud, and reached the ridge that would take us to the top of the peak, horrible wind a rain started. As you know I have a poncho to keep myself dry, and it was like wearing a kite in the wind. I managed to not to start flying.

Top of the first peak. Awful wheather conditions.

The rest of the day we had a bit more rain, but generally it was ok. We even had very far nice views of the sea and the Morecambe Bay.

Amazing views from the ridge of the second peak, with the third one in the distance.

Down to the car park, the walk was not very long, but fel like it were: we were really tired, and really looking forward to get "home" and eat.

Nackered after finishing the walk

Paco cooked lentils, and I made a tortilla, both succesful. For sunday we had a climbing day planned.

The weather was good this time. Brendham Rocks (not sure about the spelling) is an area used in Orienteering too, and has many curious rock formations. Everybody tried the climbing excepting Elaine and myself. I really wanted to try, but I also needed to have a real rest day.

Liz: still long way to go to the top

David, the master, showing us how to do it.

Will, finding his way up the hill.

Paco showing off his skills

And Djeison; probably the less experienced climber, but was a pleasure seeing him fighting to reach the top of each cliff. Unstoppable!!

Once back at home we had a very nice meal and Liz, Paco, Will and Djeison left.

I made some repairs on the banner and rucksack, and we Elaine David and myself went out for a drink before seeing the Ripon Hornblower: a guy that everyday, through the years, blow his horn at 9 pm to confirm that everything is ok in town, and look after the wellbeing of Ripon citizens overnight.

Ripon Hornblower

I would like to thank Elaine and David for giving us such a wonderful weekend. The best one of my walk.

Elaine and David

Yesterday monday, I had possibly the best day of summer in terms of weather; sunny and quite warm. I walked through well signed paths and hills and fields. I really pleasant day. I got lost a couple of times, but I found my way easily.




Very close to the camp site I was aiming for, and walking by a leisure reservoir, I saw the usual rabbits running away as i would approach them. There was a big bush near by where they could hide; three of the rabbits stayed by the edge of the bush, so try to get closer to them. I moved very slowly, and eventually I got very very close to them. I think I got 4 or 5 metres away from them, and I managed to shoot a few nice pictures.



When I was so close so that I was almost shooting from above i went down on my knees, and then they got scared and run away. This was a very strange happening; rabbits normally run away and hide when you are much more far away than 4 or 5 metres. Nice picture anyway.

The camping was a nice place, with a very recommendable pub, with nice expensive food, (not that I tried it but it looked like it). They had Black Sheep, nice ale!!

Today I started walking before 10. Overcast in the beginning, but now the sun is shining. Walked mainly in country lanes to reach Caterrick Garrison, a military village where there are military schools and do training as well. I had my long lens on, so I started tooking pictures, mainly of the barb wire fences, trying to get a nice pattern somehow.

There are four characters involve in the next story: "General" (G), "Sergeant" (S), Militar police (MP) and me. First of all, I would like to make very clear, that they were all very polite and nice, and not rude at all in any moment.

So, after taking a few of my pictures, I continued to walk, when a military security vehicle parked in front of me on the pavement. I made evasive manouvres, round the back of the car, but S cut my way, being quickly surounded by anemy forces when G joined him at my back. "so, you come for me" I said. "Yes"

I was being a security threat by taking pictures. "hey look, they are just barb wire fences, the picture could have been taken any where..." I said. G: "barb wire fences (suspicioues tone)?, why?" "well...". I sugested that they took the camera and delete the security breach pics, juts those ones, but G insisted in deleting all of them as he would do the curring head off gesture with his finger. "Wow!, you are walking Britain" S said, looking at my banner.

Pics gone, continued to walk. 10 minutes later, they were back, this time with a military police member in the car. She was extremely nice and polite to me, and asked me for my details. I was and am pretty sure that they are not going to do anything dodgy with them, but I "resisted" a bit, asking "what if i do not give them to you?". It was clear that I would not get anywhere so I gave them my name, adress and number. MP had a phone called and she answered: "no prob down here, national security threat under control".

Before they left I asked general, to be in a photo with me. He did not want to, I think he was shy. By MP, did not have much of a problem, and general showed to be as good photagrapher as a soldier...... and a security threat too!!! I laughed my way to Richmond.


National threat!


Time is running out in the library. Time to leave a find my today camping. I hope to see dan Edwards tomorrow.


Thanks for reading me.


Carlos


Nice Glen and sister donated £1 for EACH

4 comments:

Chus said...

Joder niño, tu historia al final va a ser mejor que la de Forrest Gump. Te va a conocer más gente en Inglaterra que al Paul Potts, ese que canta. Si ya te tienen hasta "fichado" por sacar fotos poniendo el país en peligro.
Espero que después de tanto caminar y Orienteering, seas por fin capaz de ganar a Paco en las carreras. Por cierto la foto de Paco escalando es una broma, si ni tan siquiera está un palmo por encima del suelo. Seguo que escaló????

Un ABRAZO, y MUCHO Ánimo y como dice Nadal


VAMOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wonk said...

Carlos! muy buena la historia del security threat, jajaja

manuel, no me toques la moral, se llama bouldering, no se trata de ir alto si no de la dificultad ;-)
(aunque te voy a reconocer que en esta roca no pase de ahi!)

el carlos anda como si fuese en moto ya!

rita said...

Si, soy yo. No te acordarás pero en INEF me llamaban así. Lo uso siempre de nombre de usuario y así.
Sique disfrutando del paseo y cuídate mucho.
Bicos.

Marga.

Carlos said...

Hola guap@s:

Aqui etoy en Sclotland, pasando mucho miedo que dicen que esta lleno de escoceses... aver...

Chus: tas hablando con un campeon de orienteering, chavalin!! Echa un vistazo a la pagina del club...

Besos