20 June 2008

Hi all

I am in Tauton, jus waiting to see my first cricket game ever. I am so excited. It is going to be a twenty20 game. Great!
Exeter Cathedral

Exeter was great: On saturday Spain won its game and met some fantastic people there. Fernando and company from Pravia (Asturias) and Madrid. And Natalie, a lovely greek origin student. I hope to see you sometime soon, Natalie.

As I was running too early to be on time in Glastonbury, I took it really easy, and on sunday I spolied myself going to the cinema and saw The Hulk. Good one!

Then I walked for two and a half hours to a camping just outside Exeter in Langford. From there I had 40 minutes walk to the pub, for my daily beers, and updating my diary. The beer engine is a very nice pub where they brew their own beer.

I seat down in the bar to write my diary as I was holding my cricket ball in my left hand. There were some cricketers in the pub and we spoke for a while. They had been playing that very evening. One of them knew Spain very well and had done the Santiago trail and knew

Asturias, Galicia, and other less known parts of Spain in the late 70s. He had some trouble with the Guardia Civil!!Toby and me in the Beer engine

They were really friendly and the locla cider flowed in large quantities. I walked 40 minutes back to the tent in beautiful moon light. Felt like flying.


On the next day I walked to Tiverton. First I followed the Exe river valley, but it quickly narrowed and got up to the hills on the west side of the river.

View of the Exe valley


From there back down again to the valley. Looking at the map I thought it would be the kind of landscape you find in the Arun valley by Arundel, a very wide valley, and flat (not very attractive to my taste), but it was a nice narrow one, with lots of vegetation.

On that night I stayed with Phil and his wife place in withleigh, a small village outside Tiverton. Their place is as strange as awsome, and they were extremely nice. Thanks to them now I have a flag that shows what I am doing, the details of my blog, and I am getting lost of donations since then. Thanks a lot for that.




Beautiful strange house in a gorgeous location.

Not only the donations: on tuesday morning a guy from the local Tiverton Gazzete spotted the flag, and I got an interview and a few pictures done. I am Tiverton famous now!!!!In Tiverton I met Lyndon and we walked together for a few days. On tuesday we walked following the Great Western Canal





Canal boat being towed by horse





We stayed in a camping and managed to watch Italy-France. Sorry, so sorry. We got Italy for the quarter finals. I am gutted. I know we can't beat Italy. Being beaten by Italy is like Paella, Sevillanas, la siesta, the sun in the mediterranean coast, or Picos de Europa in Asturias.... it is custome, tradition.... we are out, and I am traumatised even before the game....



Next day we alked in the Black down hills. Beautiful contours, with woods and fields, very much like the North Downs in my opinion. We visited the Wellington monument and slept in a B+B in Wellington and managed to see Spain victory... still gutted!!


Had a little bit of rain at the end of the day.


A copuple of English men discousing State affairs!!


On thursday went back up again to the Black Down hills and wondered up and down the hill in a way that was aquite a dishonour for this Orienteering champion. Got lost one or two times and did not manage to see the first quarter final of the Championship. Germany through.


The evening was lovely. I would say it was the first summer evening, and we camped in a random field. Cider flowed, and Lyndon got quite pissed.

Lyndon

In the morning just an easy walk to Taunton where thanks to the advertising flag we got free brakfats in a local Butcher place.

Lyndon is gone now but we will hopefully meet again in a few days.

I am out of time.

Bye for now.

Carlos

1 comment:

MAMÁ said...

Pues esta vez...... fuera la Paella, las Sevillanas, la siesta, the sun in the mediterranean coast, or Picos de Europa in Asturias.... it is not custome, no tradition.... we are in!!!!!!!!!

Podemos...oeeeee, podemos, oeeeee!!!!

P.D. Ahora a por los rusos!!!!!